Riddle Me This

As none of you may know, I'm a pretty massive Batman fan, it probably being 3rd or 4th on "Topics I can school you in," along with LOST, American Professional Sports and Star Wars. Of all of Batman's Rogues Gallery, The Riddler has always been near the top for me. I really don't know why, he's really not a great villain. Maybe it's because he always drags out the intellectual best of the Dark Knight Detective, but I seriously love the Riddler. Imagine my joy when I heard the rumor that the Riddler would be the main villain in Christopher Nolan's third Batman film.



So, in commemoration of what will soon be an announcement on the Riddler, I've decided to do a run-down of the best candidates to portray the E. Nigma. And, no, Jim Carrey will not be one of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hugh Laurie: That's right, Dr. Gregory Motherfucking House (official name). He could definitely portray the proper amounts of genius and obsession. He would also be able to use his natural British accent for the role (I think it works for the character). Hell, we also know he can handle a cane.

David Tennant: A fan favorite, I must admit I'm not that familiar with Mr. Tennant, but I know he's a very good Dr. Who. That's more than good enough for me.

Johnny Depp: What's this? An intelligent yet insane character with a eccentric manner of speaking and dressing in a movie? Must be a Depp character then. Not to say I wouldn't welcome him as the Riddler, he's Johnny Depp. I'm just saying that it might be too...obvious of a choice. And if the Riddler is anything, it's unexpected.

Michael Emerson: LOST's Benjamin Linus, Emerson has certainly proven that he can play the cryptic villain. He certainly has the intelligence and the build. I'm not sure that he would ever really get an opportunity, or that he would accept, but it's a thought nonetheless.

Guy Pearce: Well we know he's familiar with Christopher Nolan. Kind of a ho hum choice, but once again, Nolan knows him well. It could be very good if done properly (I didn't think Heath Ledger would be very good at first, either).

Joseph Gordon-Levitt: Another Nolan-ite (or at least, a future Nolan-ite) who fits the bill physically and intellectually. He's one of the few actors listed that I can readily picture in the Green Tux.

Timothy Olyphant: Probably one of the most underrated actors in all of Hollywood (which is a really outdated phrase considering how many films aren't made in Hollywood), Olyphant has 3 things going for him. Looks, acting ability and how awesome his name would look on the marquee. Bale. Freeman. Caine. Olyphant.

Casey Affleck: After careful consideration, I really think he might be the best choice. Anyone who's ever seen The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford knows that Affleck the Younger can really handle that obsessed/jealous vibe, especially while playing against a character of bigger stature. My only real concern is that his voice might not be Riddler-y enough, but then again, it would definitely be a departure.

Eddie Murphy: No.

It's a mystery. Broken into a jigsaw puzzle. Wrapped in a conundrum. Hidden inside a Chinese box. A riddle.
Cosmis

0 comments: